Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Incorporating a Blog Into the Classroom - Writing Journals

There are endless possibilities as to how a blog can add to the educational atmosphere in one’s classroom. As I am just beginning to learn about the potentials a blog offers, I have already begun thinking of ways that I could implement a blog into my classroom. I currently use a daily journal that students use to practice their writing skills. The students each have a journal in their desks. While some students enjoy sharing their entries with the class, this traditional method does not allow for my less outgoing students to share their work. Through the use of a blog, my students could all add a journal entry and have access to their peers’ journal entries. My students could share comments about each others’ work and provide feedback. As the readings on blogs have recommended, I would have to first teach my students how to write a blog that will be open to the public. Students would have to be very careful to edit/proofread their postings prior to making it public. Our class could work together to create rules and procedures to follow when posting on a class blog. Once the students understand both the safety precautions and public access associated with blogs, my students would have numerous opportunities to share their work. Once I become comfortable with the blogging experience, I definitely plan to utilize this resource in my classroom.
Grade Level: 4
Content Area: General Ed.

6 comments:

  1. K. Richstad-

    I also am new to blogging and love the idea of having students blog instead of journaling. The idea of being able to see journals without having the kids turn in their notebooks is really exciting. I usually have a student or two out of the room and end up making a list of the notebooks that I still need to see. Do you have a website in mind that you will use? That is a something I struggle with. I would like to find a safe site that would work with our schools firewall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Melissa -

    I currently have a class website created through Scholastic.com. Their program is pretty user friendly and has open access at our school. I haven't looked into whether or not I can create a blog using their website. I'm still looking myself. If I find something that works, I'll definitely let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kevin,
    Kevin this is a great idea to have your students use blogs to write journals. Students will take journal writing more seriously, because the writings will be publicly published. You can also have your students reflect on each other’s writing. Blogging is a tool that enhances students’ writing skills. However, do all of your students have access to the internet? Nevertheless, as a fourth grade teacher, your students will probably have a hard time getting used to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Howadya,

    Prior to incorporating a weblog into my classroom, I will first have to become comfortable with the process myself. As the videos suggested, it will be important to teach my students both the safety and responsibility that comes with blogging. As for the students that do not have internet access at home, I am fortunate to have a 45 block of lab time each week. This would be a great opportunity for my students to check/add to their blog posts. I could also have my students rotate on my 4 computers in the classroom to provide extra time each day. I think a blog offers a lot of opportunities, but it will definitely need to be something that is practiced and utilized correctly and safely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Kevin,
    I like the idea of having your students use blogs instead of the traditional method of writing in journals. I agree it would be a way for your less outgoing students to showcase their work. When they share comments they could also edit each others writings. I think it is a good idea to let your students create the rules and procedures for posting. Will their blogs be made public or will you set them to private so that only you can read them? Just a thought. Great idea though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello G Fisher,

    In response to your comment about students creating the rules/procedures, I definitely would have to take several safety precautions. I am hoping to create a blog where they can be made public, but only after I have a chance to approve/check them. I teach in a 4th grade classroom, so my students would need a lot of practice with this prior to actually posting an official blog. They would need to learn how to carefully proofread/edit their comments prior to blogging. They would also need to learn to only provide school-appropriate comments/language. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete