Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Connectivism and Social Learning in Practice

Throughout this week’s learning resources, we have been exploring many of the different aspects of social learning theories. We looked at several tools and resources that educators can use to help their students utilize cooperative learning that will help to create strong connections and construct deeper meaning. While I am a strong advocate of the social learning approach to instruction, it has been challenging for me to actually implement this approach with my students. I had always been taught in a way that the teacher was the leader with all of the knowledge and answers, while the students were simply the followers expected to absorb and retain the lecture based instruction.

In today’s society, that is no longer the norm. Teachers have learned to take more of a back seat allowing their students to guide the instruction. Instead of serving as only a leader, teachers are beginning to take the role of a facilitator that provides support to his/her students. This matches up very appropriately with the cooperative learning we are studying about in this week’s learning resources. There are several online resources available for teachers to use with their students in order to support the social learning approach to instruction. One tool that I was introduced to was VoiceThread. This is essentially an online photo album that allows users to post pictures, video, text and even commentary. I definitely see the advantage of using this tool to help my students collaborate with each other. Another tool that several students and teachers are using is Facebook. This social networking site helps individuals not only stay connected, but it also opens the door to other people with similar interests or hobbies. A powerful advantage of using these types of online collaboration tools is that the social learning does not have to stop within the barriers of your class or school. Students have the ability to discuss and learn from students in a completely different country. This type of social learning provides students with real-life scenarios and experiences that will not only provide stronger learning experiences, but will also create deeper meanings.

References

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2008). Program Eight. Social Learning Theories. [Motion Picture]. Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology. Baltimore: Author.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2008). Program Ten. Spotlight on Technology: Voice Thread. [Motion Picture]. Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology. Baltimore: Author.

Orey, M.(Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kevin,

    I just wanted to note that the use of Facebook is not always encouraged, as there have been cases of pictures and comments being taken out of context. My district discourages making one's posting available to students, no matter their age, and monitors those that are published very carefully. Our opening meeting this fall began with a strict warning about material that had been posted by new teachers over the summer. Everyone should check with their district's policy and their union in order to avoid any conflicts of interest.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin,

    As you point out the role of the teacher has changed. For so many, this is a concept that has been lost. I still often find myself being the one with most of the knowledge, since my school is structured this way for instruction. However, I am slowly modifying tasks and curriculum to allow for more interaction and peer teaching. The students you teach will be far better off in the world for the opportunity to begin perfecting their 21st century skills that they will need in the work place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said,"While I am a strong advocate of the social learning approach to instruction, it has been challenging for me to actually implement this approach with my students."

    This reminded me of an observation I had when I first started teaching. I had my lesson so well planned out but then the principal told me that I was doing too much work. I didn't really understand because I was so used to lecture and thought that this was what I was expected to do. Also, I began teaching with a math degree not an education major so at that point I hadn't even taken any education courses. I was wondering why I was stressing out so much and why I was so exhausted everyday. My principal was right, I was doing ALL the work, my students just sat there and listened to me. It was a very hard adjustment to make and very difficult for me to implement but it is worth it. I still have to remind myself to put the work on them and step back, I don't have to be in control all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monica,

    As you mentioned, although Facebook/MySpace offers teachers/students a lot of potentional to interact with each other, it is important to consider many of the aspects of these sites that may be seen as negative or inappropriate for a school setting.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicky,

    Your comment about making the students do the work rather than the teacher, reminded me of the First Days of School book by Harry Wong. I remember watching a video lecture presented by Professor Wong in which he explained how if the teacher is leaving exhausted and worn out, we are not doing our job correctly. The students should be the ones going home tired and filled with knowledge from a long, hard days work.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Krystin,

    As challenging as it is at times to turn the "power" over to the students, once an educator becomes fluent in the social learning/instruction approach, our job becomes that much more enjoyable and fun. Students gain so much more from this learning approach and seem to enjoy and respect their peers and teacher on a much higher level.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kevin,

    Sometimes it's a blessing to be old and lazy. After 23 years of teaching, I avoid, at all costs, lecturing more than 20 minutes a class period. I do go home exhausted and hoarse, and the kids remember very little of what I said. Then, I need to reinforce what I taught the day before, by conducting small group and individual instruction. You're all right, the students should go home just as tired as we are, due to being engaged in the active process of discovery.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete