Thursday, November 12, 2009

Developing My Personal GAME Plan

For this week’s learning application in my Walden ITC program, we explored several of the different ways in which teachers in today’s classrooms can effectively integrate technology into the classroom. Our assignment is to begin developing a personal GAME plan of how to strengthen both our confidence and proficiency with the National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T). According to Dr. Katherine Cennamo, in order to be effective at achieving a desired learning goal, self-directed learners must first establish a GAME plan. A GAME plan consists of the following areas: G.oals, A.ctions, M.onitoring your actions, and finally E.valuating how effective your actions have been towards meeting your goals (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009). I have chosen two areas of the NETS-T that I would like to focus on throughout this school year.

The first NETS-T that I will focus on states, “Model Digital-Age Work and Learning”. The specific indicator that I will work towards is:

3c: Communicate relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents, and peers using a variety of digital-age media and formats.

In order to meet this goal, I will use the following GAME plan:

Actions:
Create a class website that provides both students, parents and peers with updated information on what is happening each week in our classroom. Families will have the opportunity to email/respond to discussion questions using the site’s discussion board.

Monitor:
As I continue to update my class website, I will check the status of how often/how many users view the site each week. I will also check for discussion responses and emails from both students/parents and respond as necessary.

Evaluate:
I plan to meet with my building administrator in both the winter/spring to go over the integration and effectiveness of my class website. We will discuss both the strengths and areas of my website that may need revisions.

The second NETS-T that I will focus on states, “Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership”. The specific indicator that I will work towards is:

4b: Exhibit leadership by demonstrating a vision of technology infusion, participating in shared decision making and community building, and developing the leadership and technology skills of others.

In order to meet this goal, I will use the following GAME plan:

Actions:
Volunteer as our building’s representative for integrating a new technology called the eBeam. This teaching resource works similarly to a SmartBoard by allowing users to interact with the computer desktop on their whiteboard. Our district is currently piloting the technology to decide whether or not to pursue ordering more eBeams for each classroom throughout the district.

Monitor:
As a building rep for this pilot program, I am committed to meeting regularly with the other members currently piloting the product. We will share both the pros/cons that we’ve have each experienced with the product and discuss whether or not the product is an effective tool for the classroom.

Evaluate:
At the end of the school year, our committee will reconvene and have a final discussion about whether or not the district should invest in the product. I will also share the technology with the rest of my staff through a brief training session about what the product is/how it works.

Kevin Richstad

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2010). Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use: A Standards-Based Approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

ISTE International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). NETS-T. Retrieved November 10, 2009, from http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore: Author.

4 comments:

  1. Kevin R,

    I think a classroom website is an excellent way to promote student achievement by enlisting the support of parents and other stakeholders. I have been working for the last 10 years on convincing my school system to support a password protected extranet for educators to use. Unfortunately, because of Department of Defense website regulations, I am continually running into road blocks. I am hopeful this is the year it will happen. Currently teachers in my school system are not authorized to host private classroom sites because of the risk of sharing student names or the school’s location to the general public. It is unfortunate because, as you say, a classroom website can be a great way to inform and involve parents, student and others in what is occurring in the classroom. Currently many teachers in my district are using blogs to share information with students and parents but the types of information that can be effectively shared is limited. With an extranet, I would also engage students with creating web pages that could be shared with parents.

    We have a similar tool to your eBeem tool called the Airliner that works with the SMARTboard system. Unfortunately, the schools that purchased these devices are unable to use them because the software to run them has not been approved by our overbearing IT department. We have run into the same issue with the SMARTboard individual voting devices. I am interested in hearing about what you find out in terms of the most effective uses for your eBeem tool. I am hoping that we can start using ours as soon as our current moratorium on new software is lifted (it has been effect for a year).

    Kevin S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin
    I chose the same two standards that you did. I strongly believe that we need to model the proper use of digital tools and do that with confidence. When the students see us using these tools as if they are second nature the transition for them is much smoother.
    I am in a high school with 200 staff members. Many of them are being dragged kicking and screaming to the idea of using digital tools. We need to act as role models not only for our students but out colleagues as well.

    I love you picture on the blog. I visited Seattle last summer for the first time. I have family in Beaverton OR and we drove up for the day. I live just outside of Charleston SC and have been interested to read the commentary about the Boeing plant coming here. I found a lot of hard feelings being expressed in the Seattle papers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin S.,
    It sounds like a lot of the issues and frustrations that you are currently dealing with are similar to the issues many districts are working on. As many of our course texts/resources have explained, we are the “pioneers” of many of these new Web 2.0 tools. While it can be frustrating not gaining access to some of these resources right now, I strongly believe that as more teachers become trained on how to integrate the tools, the school districts will begin to unblock access.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ray,
    I like that you brought up the importance of staff members/educators not only motivating and inspiring our students to use the latest innovations in technology, but also our fellow colleagues. As a younger educator not too far out from my undergrad work, I am always anxious and excited to hear about some of the new resources and tools available for the teachers in our school district. I often find that a lot of the veteran teachers that have been in this field for many years are either intimidated or not confident enough to even try out some of these technology-based tools. As an ITC major, I have informed many of my colleagues that I am happy to assist them or even train them how to use various technology resources.

    ReplyDelete