Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Revising My GAME Plan

Throughout my current Walden University Master’s course, I have been learning about many of the various ways in which today’s educators can integrate technology throughout the different content areas. At the beginning of the course, each student in our class developed a GAME plan. A GAME plan consists of the following areas: G.oals, A.ctions, M.onitoring your actions, and finally E.valuating how effective your actions have been towards meeting your goals (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009). For my GAME plan, I have focused on two main goals. The first goal I have worked towards is establishing a class website to enhance my communication between school/home. The second goal I have been working on is helping to teach the other staff members at my school how to effectively integrate technology. I am specifically working with a product called the eBeam and would like my colleagues to learn from my experience throughout the pilot program of the eBeam.

This entire experience has helped me to better understand how critical it is for educators to truly set goals to work towards. One aspect of the GAME plan that I am planning on using in my instructional practice is to continue to set at least two goals to work towards throughout each new school year.

As I work on my GAME plan, there are still some goals that I am currently working towards. One of the goals I would like to meet is to effectively integrate a class weblog. In order to meet this goal I have been working with the IT department in my school district and requesting access to particular blogging sites. Currently, our school district has blocked many of the educational-based blogging websites from gaining access.

Another area of this class that I have gained a stronger understanding for are the NETS-T. The main strand of the NETS-T that I plan to focus on is: Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_for_Teachers_2008.htm. I am would like to continue to implement many of the different Web 2.0 resources and tools that we have been learning about throughout this Master’s program.

References:

Laureate Education, (2009). Integrating technology across the content areas.
Baltimore, MD: Author

6 comments:

  1. I applaud your efforts in trying to teach other staff members about technology. Many teachers would be willing to incorporate new technology if they knew more about what was available and how it could benefit their students. They would even be more likely to utilize it if they knew they had another teacher they could go to when they needed help. Helping other teachers learn more about technology would increase your own proficiency with the tool. Your efforts definitely support the 5th standard of the NETS-T. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny,

    As you mentioned, many teachers are willing to learn how to use the latest technology advancements, but just need a simple training to become familiar with the technologies features and uses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you thought about giving students or staff a survey to see if the technology you are trying to integrate is helping them? You could easily create a Zoomerang survey and if the results are positive, then you could use that as evidence to continue integrating technology. If the results are not positive, then you could use the specific feedback to modify your plans and try different ways to integrate technology into the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. brianj711j,

    That is an excellent idea that I plan to try out with my students. I was thinking I could create a simple survey using our school's TurningPoint program. The TurningPoint program is a clicker program in which the students could each respond to some simple questions regarding technology. The information could then be converted into a graph and shared with the class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me first say that I admire your enthusiasm for technology, not to mention the willingness to support it throughout your building by assisting your colleagues to do the same. Well done!

    Secondly, I agree with you with regard to the fact that goal setting truly is an important part of teaching, as well as life itself. Without setting goals, we can, in essence, be tossed about with the wind, and never really accomplish much. I think that by setting specific goals in your classroom, you are being a fantastic role model for your students and helping them to form patterns of behavior and routines that will truly benefit them, not only in your class, but in other classes this year, next year, and eventually on the job!
    Being able to refocus and regroup when we are not attaining our goals is an important aspect of goal setting as well. The students also need to watch this modeled so they do not put too much pressure on themselves working toward unrealistic goals. Sometimes we need to pull back, reassess, and create newer, more realistic goals, together with the "baby steps" in between.
    Finally, I would like to ask you to share how you solved your problem of blocked sites. I am experiencing similar issues in my district. I will have a wonderful lesson planned, using an educational website (physics demonstration from Iowa University), but cannot access the site because it is blocked. It is very frustrating. I have gone to my technology coordinator in both buildings in which I teach. One coordinator simply told me to email her the urls of the sites that I am having difficulties accessing. However, I have not seen any progress as of yet. Subsequently, the lesson I was teaching is now a memory, and I have moved on. However, I would like to figure out how to deal with this so that I can use that sire the next time I teach that lesson. Any tips? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kevin,
    This experience has opened my eyes also to better understand how important it is to set goals. I usually have goals, but I haven’t ever used the GAME plan before. I have also been working toward creating a weblog, but have I have hit several road blocks along the way too. I have will continue to work towards it after the Christmas break. I also think I need a break from it for awhile. I was getting a little frustrated, but I think if I step back for a few days I will be able to come back with a fresh mind and pick up where I left off.

    Good luck to you as you work on your GAME plan. I hope you are able to get permission to have a blog website opened for you as you work to help your students become active learners using technology.

    Gayla

    ReplyDelete