Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Behaviorism in Practice

In this week’s learning resources, we had a chance to learn about the behaviorist learning theory and how it can be applied within the classroom setting to help improve/achieve the desired behaviors. We also read some strategies about how to teach students the significance that a quality effort can have upon both your work and grades. Finally, we looked at several ideas about how to effectively assign homework and practice assignments that reinforce the content being taught.

One of the ideas that I gained from this week’s resources was the importance of “explicitly teach[ing] students about the importance of effort” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007, p.156). I have often shared with my students how important it is to put forth a strong effort, but I have never considered actually tracking their progress. Through the use of simple spreadsheet programs such as Microsoft Excel, students can create and monitor their progress on an “Effort Rubric” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007, p.157). This not only gives them a visual of their progress, but also improves their beliefs and behaviors. Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski (2007) explained how research shows, “that students can change their beliefs and make a connection between effort and achievement” (p. 156). This is one way in which technology can help students develop a positive attitude about school and help to improve behavior.
Another focus throughout this week’s learning resources was how to use homework and practice strategies effectively. There has always been a lot of controversy over the issue of assigning homework. I am a strong advocate in assigning homework as long as it is relevant and simply a way to reinforce and practice a skill already taught in class. The school I am currently working at is fortunate to have three sets of laptop carts for classes to check out. This provides my students with several opportunities to use different computer resources to help practice and reinforce different skills. Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski (2007) shared a game called, “Battlegraph” that helps students develop ideas about coordinate grids (p. 195). While I have used the idea of Battleship to help teach my fourth graders ordered pairs, I have always used the traditional method of graph paper/pencil. I am planning on trying out this PowerPoint method as a way to engage my students even more.

Another resource that I would like to implement is a class wiki that could be used for class discussions/projects. Students would be able to work on their projects on their own time outside of the classroom. It would also provide students with a chance to work collaboratively and could serve as a communication tool. This would help to improve relationships among students and help to establish positive behavior and a positive working environment. Through the use of interactive games and activities like this one, my students will become more engaged and be less likely to act out or misbehave.

References
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009). Program four. Behaviorist Learning Theory [Motion picture]. Bridging Learning, Theory, and Technology. Baltimore: Author.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

Standridge, M.. (2002) Behaviorism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved <2009>, from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

8 comments:

  1. I like the idea of battleship or rather battle graph to help students practice graphing skills. I had never considered it before. I typically just give students those worksheets that have you plot ordered pairs and then a neat picture is formed. I envy that you have the computer availability to do neat technology assignments with your students. Also, I was inspired to work on a wiki, but did not get approval from my school to do so, due to some issues at other district school regarding them, so I had to settle for blogging instead. It ended up working out O.K. At least my students still learned a new form of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am in the process of implementing a wiki within my instruction. I have found, with my middle school students, that many learners function best later in the evening, so I believe this approach will garner some success in drawing participation from those that are not necessarily enthusiastic in front of an audience at school. My focus will be on poetry, something I have found many students are adept at, but are too shy to share their favorites, or their own submissions. Good luck!

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin
    I love the idea of using a class wiki and plan to do so next semester. Even though we have 90 minute class periods 5 days a week I think if the students had a way to collaborate anytime anywhere the quality of their work will increase significantly. I can't wait to try it.
    How about this stat in our morning paper (Sunday), 20% of the incoming 9th graders in our district can't read above the 4th grade level. In my particular high school it is 11%. Our freshman class next year is 800 students so that means 90-100 kids read 3rd grade or lower! What chance do these kids have in high school, technology or not?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krystin,

    I am very fortunate to work at a school that has the amount of access to technology that we have. However, as you mentioned, there are several websites that our school district has blocked. I had hopes of incorporating a class blog, but I cannot access Blogspot.com at my school. The district has also blocked YouTube.com. While these sites do have access to some negative associations, I feel as though the positive associations overwhelmingly outweigh the negative ones. I am hoping that once these types of Web 2.0 sites become more socially acceptable, our district will reconsider granting access for educators.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ray,

    The statistic you shared about the reading level of incoming freshmen is very scary. This places a large amount of pressure on the high school level educators. Like you stated, if they cannot even read at a high school level, it is hard to believe that they will be successful with the technology you are hoping to integrate. However, today's students are so involved with technology and rely so much on the use of it to connect with others, I think it will be easy to motivate them to try out the technology resources we have been learning about in this program.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monica,
    I work at the elementary level, so I am a little apprehensive about how many of my students will really use a class wiki. However, after viewing many of the video resources in this Masters program, I am reassured that it is possible for a group of intermediate level students to hold a conversation of discussion on a class wiki/blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You said that you have stressed to your students the importance of effort but never considered actually tracking it, neither have I but it sounds like a good project. It would fit right into my math curriculum and it would be an interesting study. My only concern is the results of the very smart students that do not need to put forth any effort but still seem to get high grades, overwise it is a good way to show the pay off of an honest effort.

    You also mentioned Battlegraph and using it yourself on paper. I found this part of the chapter very interesting and had to look up the website myself. I actually did the same project as an undergrad but without the technology. I had to create or alter an existing game to match my math curriculum. I went and bought the actually battleship game and I took it apart then I used a black marker to transform their grid into the xy coordinates. That was before all this wonderful use of technology that we have now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am excited about the opportunity to use wikis next year, as well. I thought it would be interesting to highlight specific artists or art forms that parallel with the social studies curriculum. Potentially developing an interdisciplinary wiki that could be expanded upon by all classes in the school. Maybe we can, also, reach outside of the school walls with this. I hope it will be possible.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete