Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Cognitivism in Practice

In this week’s learning resources, we explored many tools and activities that teachers can use with their students to help support instructional strategies as well as the cognitive learning theories. One type of resource that we looked at was, “Concept Maps”. While I am familiar with this term/resource, I have not actually incorporated a concept map into my instruction or class projects. There are several reasons I think this is a great resource to use in the classroom. According to the cognitive learning theories discussed by Dr. Michael Orey, the information we gather is can be stored and recalled in many different ways. In order for our students to truly retain/recall the concepts we are teaching, they need a way to connect with the information. This is where a concept map can be a powerful learning tool. For those who are unfamiliar with concept maps, they are essentially an electronic version of the common web/tree map teachers use for organizing ideas. Dr. Orey explained how the concept map provides students with both text/visual representations that help create stronger connections. The stronger the connection, the easier it is to recall/retain the information.



Another great resource we looked at was Virtual Field Trips. Prior to this week’s learning resources, I was not familiar with the idea of a virtual field trip. The video resource provided a great video clip showing how a virtual field trip was used to enhance the learning of a historical lesson about the assassination of President Lincoln. Even though we may not have the time, funding or capabilities of taking our students on an actual field trip, a virtual field trip can still provide students with a rich experience that can be extremely motivating and engaging. Dr. Orey explained the importance of giving your students as many opportunities to “Elaborate” upon the concepts and ideas being covered in the lesson.



This week’s learning resources also discussed how educators can help students develop and improve their “note-taking” abilities. In my experience, students often use highlighters simply turn their white page to a bright yellow rather than highlighting only the critical ideas. One tool that I plan to share with my students is the “track changes” found in Microsoft Word. This can be used as a way for students to simply find only the most important ideas in a given text.



The final focus point of this week’s topics was about how teachers can use cues, questions, and advance organizers to help students create strong connections. I am currently starting to use Microsoft Excel for a variety of activities. In the video, students were working on a spreadsheet to help them find the changes in populations in state and district unions over the past 17 years. Instead of spending a lot of time calculating the difference for each of the different years, students were able to use an Excel formula to calculate the differences. This provided students with more time to make stronger connections with the topic being covered. This is a tool I am hoping to integrate into my own classroom.


Through resources such as concept maps, virtual field trips and many other computer based tools, teachers have unlimited amounts of information and tools that can help to enrich as well as empower the learning already being taught by educators.

References
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Program number 5. Cognitive Learning Theories[Motion picture]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Baltimore: Author.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Program number 6. Spotlight on Technology: Virtual Field Trips [Motion picture]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Baltimore: Author.


Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.


Robertson, B., Elliot, L., & Robinson, D. (2007). Cognitive tools. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved <5/18/2009>, from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoy the use of electronic field trips. One of the best resources I found from this week's resouces was the efieldtrips.com site. While it does require registration for each field trip, it is still a free resources. It has an ask an expert section during a specific time period on some trips, and it has a little journal for students to use while on the trip. Another great site I learned about came from the course DVD. I had no idea there was a tour of Ford's theater. I don't know where it would fit into my curriculum really, but it was interesting just for me to see. I think that concept maps when combined with the e-trips are a great way to further engage students in their learning process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never looked at the virtal field trips either but I love the idea of using them. I am glad our resources gave us links to so many sites. The virtual field trips could be a great way to integrate different subjects together and to integrate real world applications which I think should be a priority in the curriculum. It also seems like a really cool way to see things that we may never have been able to and bring them right into our classroom. I love this idea even for the simple reason of the ease of planning a "trip". I used to dread taking a class on a "real" trip because of all the worries and responsiblilty of taking them outside of the classroom, now I can take them out of the classroom without taking them out of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicky,

    Like you mentioned, "real" out of the classroom field trips require a lot of work, energy, planning and funding. The virtual field trips open up an entire new world that both teachers and students can explore. I am anxious to try many of these great resources out with my class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krystin,

    Thanks for sharing. I'll have to check out the "efieldtrips.com" site you mentioned. I am planning on adding each of this week's tech resources to my favorites list so I can use them periodically throughout different lessons. I am currently teaching my class about Washington State's history and natural environment. I am planning on using Inspiration as a tool for kids to create their own concept maps. Once we have the concept maps created, I am hoping to find a virtual field trip that will provide my students with a more vivid experience of the history of Washington.

    ReplyDelete